Friday, October 2, 2009

Passion

Some of my favorite classes ended up being my favorite because of passionate teachers. In other classes my favorite subjects ended up being my least favorite classes due to a teacher's lack of enthusiasm. Why is that? How come students are not always able to be passionate on their own? I think the answer to that question is students are more influenced by their teachers than some may like to admit.

Take me for example. I never was a huge fan of English. Writing was hard for me, and I just did not enjoy reading very much. However, I then came upon Mr. E (Engesether.) I don't know if I will ever meet a more goofy, wild, and passionate teacher in my life. This man would stand on desks, yell randomly, and use multiple different accents each and every class. Everyone could just tell how passionate he was with not just his eccentric nature and how he used that in class, but in also how he would assist anyone who needed it. He would get to school by at least six a.m. every morning to write comments on our writing, and to meet with anyone who wanted to meet. He would also stay a few hours after school to do the same thing.

Like I said before English wasn't my favorite subject up until I met Mr. E. However, after my first class with him (American Lit) I just could not get enough. I ended taking all of his classes which included Shakespeare, advanced composition, and AP English. Now this was the kid who wasn't very good at writing, and disliked reading.

Now, I had a completely opposite experience in my history classes. Up until high school I loved history. I enjoyed learning about all the different empires, the many rulers, wars, etc. I just couldn't get enough. At least until my sophomore year. That year I ran into the most unpassionate teacher that I had in my education experience. Most days we talked about his favorite movies. The only time it seemed that he put any effort into his lessons was the day he was observed by the administration. That day was the only day I saw him wear a tie as well. After his class I sort of shunned away from history classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment