Thursday, November 12, 2009

Flexibility

This past summer I was a basketball and hockey coach for a traveling Christian sports camp. My main role was being in charge of all the large group activities. Mostly the curriculum that we taught. Not only did that opportunity enhance my presentation skills, but it also taught me how to be flexible and to think on my feet.

It was interesting to learn that I could have the best plan of what I was going to say/do/act/teach/etc. However when you're in front of 80 plus 5-12 year old children plans don't always work out. Seeing as one group of children will be completely different from the next I would constantly have to alter my day to day plans.

Yet to maintain credibility I had to make my alterations seem effortless. I found that I would always have to something up my sleeve that would keep the program going, and allow me time to think at the same time. When it come to being flexibile I firmly believe you have to be committed to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment